The following covers just a selection of the areas of law we can help you with. We are happy to discuss fees on a case – by – case basis, and to agree deferred payment plans and conditional fee arrangements at our discretion.
We can also advise and help you in specific areas of your case, and guide you so that you can help yourself, where possible. This can sometimes help clients access important advice and address the main issues, which they otherwise might not be able to afford to do.
Reference to ‘hourly rate’ means our firm’s usual basis for billing, which is £210/hour. VAT is added to all fees including those set out below.
For the most simple type of estate, involving no residential or commercial property: £2,000.
All other probate applications: between 1% and 1.75% of the gross estate value, with fees usually paid from estate proceeds.
Probate registry fees and other expenses are chargeable separately, and are likely to be in the region of £300.
- Agreed fee from £1500 + VAT.
- VAT is charged at 20%
Included in the fees:
- Assessment of assets
- Preparation of relevant tax documentation
- Application for grant of probate
- Assistance with the Inheritance tax process
- Advice on duties of executor
- Assistance on distribution of estate
Not included in the fees:
- Work arising from dispute is not included
- Fees for any court appearances
- Likely disbursements include probate registration fee and certificate fees of £277 and in some cases £100 for publication of notices.
Key stages and approximate timescale information
Typical timescale of a routine probate case
- Calculation and assessment of assets
1 – 4 weeks
- Preparation of tax documentation
1 – 2 weeks
- Application for grant of probate
6 weeks – 4 months
6 month holding period before distribution of estate (not always applicable)
Motoring Offences (Summary)
Due to the wide range of possible driving offences, it is not possible for us to accurately set out pricing guidance for every scenario. The following is an example of the key stages and work involved in a typical drink driving case.
At our discretion, we may offer to work for you on an agreed fee basis instead of our hourly rate basis, which is £215 + VAT per hour. If such an agreed fee arrangement is put in place, it will be from £1500 + VAT and would typically include:
- 2 hours attendance/preparation:
- considering evidence
- taking your instructions
- providing advice on likely sentence
- attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
- instruction of any expert witnesses
- taking statements from any witnesses
- advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons hearing
- advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
- travel for more than 40 minutes or overnight accommodation if the court hearing is at a court more than 2 hours travel time away (lowest price accommodation available will always be used, and you will be given the option for us to instruct a local agent on your behalf).
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing:
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost, of £215 + VAT per hour).
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for at least half a day.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
- The duration of your case is always dictated by the Police and/or the Court service
Fees for all other work
As agreed with us on a case – by – case basis. This will usually be under an all – inclusive fee agreement or charged at out hourly rate, with an estimate given at the outset of instructions.
We can usually find a financially proportionate way to help you – call us today to discuss your needs.